Thursday, September 21, 2006

Get Down On It

Oh man, I’m happy. Fall is here! The light is turning golden, nights are cool, and soon I’ll be able to throw all my windows open and breathe deeply of the fresh air. Autumn is when I feel most like myself, my Ramona-ness peaking in a splendid whirl of decorating, baking, being outside, and getting stuff done. No matter what city I’m living in, autumn makes everything look and smell better. There is so much to look forward to, like Oktoberfest, fall festivals, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and enjoying frisky walks. The crisp cool air clears my head and amps up my energy, and suddenly I feel more alive, creative, and optimistic.

The clothes are so much cuter too – boots, scarves, sweaters and jackets all make their brilliant comeback. I have this list of meals I’m craving to cook but can’t be bothered to make in hot weather. Risotto, casseroles, chili, fondue, potato-broccoli-cheese soup, and homemade sweets are heading my way. Plus the Borat movie, and new episodes of TV shows.

Even though the leaves don’t change much in Savannah, I have a few beauties I keep my eye on. And acorns! I love acorns. When I’m walking, there is a compelling need to crush acorns for that satisfying feel and sound. I have to get an equal number for each foot too, stepping exaggeratedly to keep it even. Add a few acorns for my pocket, to later find their way into a mason jar, and I’m content. Fall - it’s just so good in every way.

1 comment:

andrewodom said...

Let us not forget the festivals that will be visiting Savannah and its parks. I speak specifically of the Greek Festival, the Jewish Food Festival, and one or more music fests that often go unpublicized. But, yes, fall is good in every way!