Sunday, August 27, 2006

She's a Very Freaky Girl

Friday night, Owen and I were faced with that age-old dilemma of deciding where to eat. Being the little list-maker that I am, the solution was obvious: write out the pros and cons so the decision can be verified as scientifically accurate. And it totally worked.

Owen: “Well, Thai food is always good”.
Ramona: “Yeah, but according to the list, that place has sucky beer and no cocktails. If we go to Red Lobster, they have cheese biscuits and a possible Ben Affleck sighting.”
Owen: “That should be on the cons list.”

And so on. We decided on Italian, because carbs are delicious and this frisky biscuit needed a drink.

After acing the decision making portion of the evening, the movie theater tested our negotiation skills. In the lobby was an 8 foot tall cutout of Borat, deemed essential for a full and satisfying life. We managed to barter with the movie theater manager for Borat in exchange for a case of beer – after the movie comes out. Actually, Owen did most of the work while I put my patented charming smile and robust head nodding move into action. We were the invincible.

Little Miss Sunshine was so good – unpredictable and different, with a kooky family along the lines of a Wes Anderson film. The little girl in the movie just makes my heart ache she is so adorable. Kids with glasses are especially cute. The whole film was moving and funny, and there was a fabulous surprising scene that was almost hard to watch. I’ll say no more about that, but you’ll see. It couldn’t have been more perfectly delightful. I loved this movie; it may be my favorite movie of the summer.

Saturday brought a phone call where all of a sudden I found myself riding around in a convertible with some hippies. That would be my aunt and uncle, who are very sweet but their bohemian ways mystify me. I don’t know them well and hadn’t seen them in 3 years, so that can be awkward. When I answered the phone at 9 that morning (NINE A.M.!), my aunt says, “We’re in Savannah until tomorrow. Pause. My mother-in-law is sick, and we’re trying to figure out what to do with ourselves today. PAUSE.

So, a few hours later I’ve taken them down to River Street and I’m watching my aunt figure out which belly dancing outfit to buy. She offered to buy me one too, saying “I bet your boyfriend would like it”. Sorry, Owen but I declined due to my chronic case of teenaged-fashioned embarrassment. I also found out how my aunt and uncle met, while they were students at Auburn. They were each out for a walk, and my uncle’s FERRET attacked my aunt’s dog. Well then.

No comments: