Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Nervous Noshing

For someone who thinks about food as often as I do, it’s odd how infrequently I write about it. Big events – whether stressful or celebratory, spent with friends and family or on one’s own – involve planning the menu. While following the progress of Tropical Storm Ernesto, my mind has also been sorting out what to nibble on. Hurricanes call for deli food. The power may go out and it’ll be too hot for cooking anyway. Two decades of living in Panama City and dealing with storms taught me what to stock in my cooler:

Blueberry muffins with crumbles of sugar on top
Tuna salad sandwiches
Hard boiled eggs
Grapes, apples, carrots*
Celery sticks with scoops of peanut butter
Chips and salsa
Chocolate chip cookies
Cheese straws
Beer

*the stress snacking triumvirate

No comments: