Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Premium

It’s likely I’m the last person under 40 to catch onto the awesomeness that is the iPod. Before my sister got one, I scoffed at the idea that there was any need for such a gadget in my life. I never had a Walkman, and thought all those people walking around wearing earphones seemed aloof and haughty. But oh, I fell in love – instantly.

Like any smitten kitten, I could gush endlessly. Which is more beautiful – the simplicity of having all your music so well contained and available, or the fact that it keeps the undesirables from talking to you? Plus, it helps me contain my rage. When people are watching that crummy Dr. Phil at the gym, I can now override my hateful scowls. At the airport, it makes me feel calm and comfortable in my private little bubble. Another sweet iPod move for my lazy ass is to listen to music in bed – without having to get up to turn it off.

The first little treat I downloaded was the brilliant Ricky Gervais podcast. Really, he is just fantastic. Now that I’m a greedy iPod fiend, my only disappointment is that not everything I imagine downloading is available. I’m pining for the new OK Go video “Here it goes again”. Which, if you haven’t seen, you must do so immediately. All the cool kids are doing it.

No comments: