Tuesday, April 04, 2006

the libraries - they are good

This is National Library Week, in case you know anyone who cares about that sort of thing. And really, we all should care. Hopefully at some point in your life, a library has affected you in some meaningful, wonderful way. Or perhaps these famous people, who appreciate libraries, express an outlook you can relate to.

Growing up, I was lucky to belong to a family of readers. Frequent trips to the library were the norm; it was there I showed the first symptoms of book greediness and hoarding tendencies. The public library in Panama City had an indoor fishpond and window views of the downtown harbor. The kid’s section had a small box with a light bulb to switch on, illuminating a 3-D scene from different children’s books. It was called a diorama, but nobody ever knows what I’m talking about. My sister and I would take turns peering through the peephole, feeling completely enchanted.

In honor of National Library Week, this is a small sample of books that I fancied as a child, that have continued to captivate me. I hope to one day share them with my own kids.

-Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
-Bread and Jam for Frances
-Anything by Richard Scarry
-The Sweet Pickles series
-Curious George
-Dr. Seuss (especially The Lorax)
-Madeline
-In the Night Kitchen
-The Very Hungry Caterpillar
-Namu: Making Friends with a Killer Whale
-The Berenstain Bears
-Nancy Drew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an extra geeky fact about Ramona. She has ALWAYS organized her books in some manner. As an annoying little sister, I used to place her books out of alphabetical order. Worked every time. It would probably still work, even though she has now progressed to a more meaningful organization scheme.

Anonymous said...

I love all Frances books. Somehow I managed not to destroy at least one of them, and Bedtime for Frances is on my bookshelf now.

Oh! And I have a record of Bread and Jam for Frances! Are you jealous?