Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Dinosaurs: 1854 Style

The next time I’m in London, visiting the dinosaurs at the Crystal Palace Park now tops the list. I’ll be taking K. Cameron, of course. Until Waterhouse Hawkins created the life-size models in 1854, no one knew what dinosaurs looked like. I love that name Waterhouse Hawkins – it just screams kindly eccentric gentleman scholar. He even hosted a dinner party inside one of his dinosaurs back in the day. Sadly, the Crystal Palace built by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert burned down in 1936. There is talk of rebuilding the Crystal Palace, and the dinosaurs were restored in 2003. In the meantime, I’ll have to be satisfied with investigating the Crystal Beer Parlor, which is much closer to home. The name alone has aroused my curiosity since I moved to Savannah, but it’s likely K. Cameron will be the only dino there.

No comments: