Monday, April 24, 2006

Blogostasis

The blogostasis* has infused me lately, so I’m afraid the only morsel on offer is the weekend report. My parents were visiting from Florida, which means sofa city for me. I don’t mind giving up my bedroom to the people who gave me everything, but it is usually tempered with a grouchy and headachy Ramona.

On Friday night, we met up with Victoria and her parents for the outdoor movie at Forsyth Park. SCAD presented three films over the weekend, with a huge screen and speakers set up in the park. Moviegoers brought their food, booze, lawn chairs, and dogs– ideal ingredients for a spring evening, as far as I’m concerned. The film we saw was North By Northwest, which was funnier and naughtier than I had expected. Definitely the favorite event of the weekend, by all reports.

On Saturday, I took my captives to the Crystal Beer Parlor. The atmosphere was typical old-timey Southern dive, but the food wasn’t anything remarkable, just adequate and greasy. Then we went to the new museum, the Jepson Center for the Arts. Now, I’m not much of a museum girl, except for natural history, science, and big-time spectacular museums. Luckily I had free passes, because I thought the Jepson Center wasn’t really worth a $9 dollar admission. Maybe it’s because I was just at the Smithsonian in January, but I feel like everyone has a right to some art and culture, free of charge. Plus, the security guards were mildly intrusive, like they haven’t figured out the boundaries of their gig yet.

That night, we had dinner at the Soho South Cafe, a former garage that has been converted into an artsy, funky restaurant. The first time I ate there, I noticed a signed photo of Gwyneth Paltrow (during her Ben Affleck era). Not only is it Gwyneth approved, but they also have great atmosphere and decent food. My dad and I were delighted with the insanely tasty Corsendonk beer. Is it just me, or does beer taste especially good when you drink with your parents?

The other bit of weekend business is that I ordered a new laptop, funded partially with my Hollis and Rae earnings. I’m glad to have something tangible from that experience, since that whole dating one of the other extras deal didn’t take off.

Today I’m off work, recovering from hostess and tour guide duty. I really should sneak off to the movies to take advantage of playing hooky. Hmmm ...that and some taped episodes of Ricky Gervais in Extras that my dad taped for me. Perfect.




Blogostasis: when ideas slow down; also, when a blogger is writing at the same quantity but looks at a piece considered for posting and just thinks, “Eh...doesn’t seem worth it”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ramona, an outdoor movie sounds so fantastic. Still too cold in Maine for evening movies. Or sitting on the ground. Don't these yankees know it's almost May?