Monday, February 20, 2006

The Sure Thing

So I just happened to be watching The Sure Thing yesterday, when I noticed that John Cusack was wearing sweatpants. In a bar, of all places. In fact, they were the same as the ones I was wearing at that precise moment, while lolling about on the couch. Thinking back, I remembered that famous scene in Say Anything where Lloyd Dobler is holding the boom box outside Diane’s window: sweatpants! So we have at least two documented sweatpants wearing situations in John Cusack’s movie history. Did I miss something in the 80’s? Was it okay back then for dudes to wear sweatpants in front of girls and out on the town? Maybe it was the masculine counterpart to those nasty stirrup pants that girls wore. (You know you had some too.)

These days, tracksuits are cute and acceptable. I feel okay wearing them on road trips or a dash to the grocery store, and certainly while out walking with Lady Buttercup. I thank Madonna for making the track suit a presentable option. But I still have old school sweatpants for when I think no one will catch me.

Clothes have been on my mind a lot lately. The conviction that one needs an entire new wardrobe is, of course, the first symptom of spring fever. Even though I despise hot weather, I still want to go shopping. I swear, I spend all 8 months of summer in Savannah dreaming about winter, and I spend the cooler months dreading the summer. That, my friend, is a sure thing for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ramona, I love your blog! It is clever and vaguely British--two of my favorite things.

Ramona said...

Cheers, Sally! I am greatly indebted to you for inspiring me in the first place.