Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Big Daddy Like Whiskey

So I should have mentioned this a few days ago, but Dash Rip Rock played in Savannah last weekend. This is the band that I blame for my hearing being so bad that I mishear sentences all the time. If someone says, “Would you like to go to the mall?” what I actually hear is, “Would you like to lick my balls?” My head is always snapping up because I think I’ve just heard something enormously pervy.

The first time I saw Dash Rip Rock play, I rode 100 miles with my high school boyfriend and his buddies to Sluggo’s in Pensacola. I was 17 years old – too young, it turned out, to actually get into the club where they were playing. We went to a gas station to get a red marker and try to replicate the hand stamp so I could get in. I was certain that I would be spending the evening waiting in the car while everyone else saw the show. While we were busy creating counterfeit stamps, who else do we see at the gas station but Dash Rip Rock themselves. They put me on their guest list, and I walked right past the bouncers who had turned me away an hour earlier. Me, plus two kids belonging to the band that were, I swear, 8 years old. That night was my first taste of what a sweaty, high-energy fun as hell concert should be like.

There is only one original member left in Dash Rip Rock. The absence of Ned “Hoaky” Hickle harshes my mellow, for reasons I won’t explain here. I have a drumstick signed by another former member, Chris “Lucky Dog” Luckette. That was from a show I saw in college, where the band handed out miscellaneous junk from their pockets to a few girls in the crowd. I’m glad I got the drumstick and not the condom my roommate got.

So this time, they played a few too many covers. But they are still the lovable scamps that I remember. They have a few pics on their website from Saturday’s show. Take special notice of the sign advertising the $2 PBR specials! This was also the night we learned, courtesy of Victoria, that clogging to Cajun Punk is possible. So is looking cute while doing it.

Speaking of music, has anyone else noticed Matisyahu? He is this amazing reggae guy that I really want to hear more of. If you watch VH1 before 6 am, you might catch his video.

No comments: