Wednesday, March 08, 2006

2 Non-Creepy Robots (+ 1 that might be)

What do we have on the menu for today? Ah yes. I’ll be telling you about my new robot. He has a specialty, and it is carpet cleaning. But he is marketed as more than that, perhaps a friendly robot that deserves a real name of his own. For now we’ll stick with the one assigned to all of his kind: SpotBot.

SpotBot is a good chap. He keeps things tidy, he doesn’t try to make me learn crappy multiplication tables. SpotBot wants me to relax with a cup of tea, while he takes care of things. I’m ready for ChefBot, and CleanTheBathroomBot, but for now this is a harmonious development in my household.

This is not the first time a robot has entered my life. That honor goes to Alphie, or ALPHIE (whatever). Kind of low-tech. Maybe not a robot exactly. I don’t remember how you used your robot powers to serve humankind, but you sure were a cute fella.

Finally, this brings us to the new Coldplay video “Talk”. If you haven’t seen it, Chris Martin and the boys discover a giant robot (that actually looks like Alphie). At first, he seems like a melancholy robot that has been tossed out for a newer model. Then Coldplay rock out for him, and this robot revives and seems friendly enough. It looks like he parties. But oh no, that robot ends up EATING the Coldplay spaceship as if the time they shared meant nothing, NOTHING, I tell you!

Cliffhanger of the week: I may have some exciting developments to report. Like the robots I dream about, this news is from the future.

No comments: