Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Freaks, The strangers who approach me are

There must be some quality in my demeanor or appearance that invites strangers to apprehend me, and then practically explode with some unexpected weirdness. Maybe its because they see me and Lady Buttercup out walking so often that they feel they know us. That we are such a familiar sight they decide to stop us and give a detailed monologue about ...whatever. It happens so frequently - I’m held hostage while listening politely to someone’s outburst - that when I see certain people coming I duck behind buildings to avoid them. There is even one who drives beside me, windows rolled down and still talking, while I’m just skulking home. Later, when I’m released back to my squandered free time, I always wonder what the hell just happened. You hardly know me and you are talking about this?
Take this recent encounter, from a neighbor I’d only nodded hello to before:
Neighbor: My cat - you’ve seen him. He’s like my son. But after I had him for a like a year, you know, he started acting all hyper and was waking me up and stuff.
Ramona: Ah
Neighbor: So I called the vet. And the vet said to me, ‘Well Sammy, remember when you were a teenager and your hormones made you all excited and you felt different?’ Oh yeahhh...I remember that! Whoooo! So the vet says, That is what your cat is going through. We’ll give him the operation and he should calm down’.
Ramona: Um
Neighbor: Now the cat is bringing me dead snakes and stuff. So I called the vet and asked why. I know the cat thinks it’s a present, but why can’t he bring me a ribeye or something?
Ramona: Oh my hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lady buttercup is so patient. Once, she waited around 30 minutes for me and Ramona on a walk while a total stranger told us about her botox injections.