Monday, March 05, 2007

Helmet Panties


I love to feed my curiosity and go to something simply because I’ve never tried it before. Having a variety of experiences makes life exciting (and gives me something to blog about). Another irresistible force for me is a good plan. These two phenomenons overlapped into a perfect Friday night.

It started out with my idea of a fabulous evening: Cupcake Happy Hour. Yes, that’s right – two cupcakes for the price of one. Back in the Day Bakery - which was recently featured on the Food Network – has a good thing going on with that.

Dinner wasn’t special; we were running late due to one unforeseen obstacle. There was a traffic accident that severely bogged down the already horrendous Friday rush hour. But I used a few back roads and we were able to grab a quick bite. Let’s skip the details on that and simply say that we did eat.

Finally, the premier of the Derby Devils! Savannah’s roller derby team had their first match against Atlanta. After hearing about roller derby – all-girl teams racing around on roller skates while wearing punky costumes and makeup – I had to see it. It was thankfully not as violent as I’d imagined; there was some pushing and people fell, but no actual fights. The girls all had fierce names like Skate Outa Compton and Reba Smackintyre. There was a punk band playing in between the bouts, and Owen bought me the awesome Derby Devils tee.

It was fun to see all sorts of people show up for something new and unknown. From art school students to parents to beer gutted sports guys – there was one guy who even looked like The Rooster! Plus I learned that jams aren’t just clothing worn in the ‘80s or a fruity topping for toast. Oh, and there are such things as helmet panties out there in the world!

While I’m at it, I’ll tell you what else I did this weekend. On Saturday night I went with the girls to a ballroom dance showcase. This is basically a dance recital for adults, where people who take ballroom dance lessons practice a routine for months, and then show off their skills. One couple did the cha-cha to Gnarls Barkley. We got dressed up and now my feet are paying the price – heels and cobblestone streets really harsh my mellow.

No comments: