Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Team Gore

My last quarter at Auburn I had a class with this hippie kind of girl named Kathryn. She was really nice and bohemian stylish, and she was in my study group. Naturally that made me feel like one of the cool kids. She invited us to her apartment to work on a project, and there was a sign in her bathroom that changed my mind into thinking she was just a little too weird for me. The sign read, "If it's yellow then it's mellow if it's brown flush it down". I was having none of that.

Several days ago I noticed azaleas blooming. In January. So I figured it was time to check out the documentary An Inconvenient Truth. Now, I'd heard things, like it was shocking how bad the global warming had gotten. And that the film will change the way you think, and everyone needs to view it. After watching Al Gore with his slide show and evidence, and seeing photos of the decreased snow on Mount Kilimanjaro, and dear lord the polar bears...I am alarmed. I didn't expect to be so moved, that I need to urge everyone to watch An Inconvenient Truth. Plus the outrage at people denying this is a serious problem, and the worry, and the awareness that I need to change some things. I'm not venturing into bathroom signage like Kathryn, but I appreciate her good heart for being environmental even before Al Gore made it so clear.

No comments: