Sunday, January 28, 2007

In Case of Zombies

Anytime I watch a disaster movie, I try to imagine what it would take to survive if I was in that situation. Doesn’t matter how the world is ending – rampant zombies, natural disaster, alien invasion – preparation will include me amongst those who make it out of there. After watching Children of Men, I had the chance to review my plan.

The People
Ideally, when the catastrophic event occurs I’ll have my loved ones nearby and we’ll survive together. You’ll also want to align yourself with a hero. Clive Owen will do nicely, but it’s up to you. And while it’s not nice to think about, having a few “expendable” people could be of assistance.

The Place
Because it seems like cities are a prime target for zombies and aliens, it will be harder to survive there. Also, as resources and hiding places get scarce you’ll have more competition. So an ambiguous country setting where we’ll go undetected and be able to grow vegetables is probably better for long-term survival.

The Stuff
There are certain things - like a full tank of gas, plenty of food and water, generators, and camping gear - that would certainly help. Also, the right outfit is crucial. Jeans, sneakers, a t-shirt and hoodie, plus a coat seem about right. One thing that is tough to decide: glasses or contacts? In the movies, there never seems to be anywhere to wash up, and you can’t put grubby fingers in your eyes. But then, glasses falling off leads to many character’s demise (see: Newman in Jurassic Park). I should probably just get Lasik.

But I don’t spend much time on these issues; the real business comes down to this: what I’ll have in my bag. Eventually, when things get desperate, you’re going to have to escape on foot. I know this because I watch a lot of movies. So if I’m ever on the run from zombies (or glaciers or the Fratellis), I’ll be needing a backpack with survival essentials:

Flashlight
Waterproof matches & a lighter
Knife
Rope
First aid kit
Snacks
Canteen
Extra clothes
Handy wipes/moist towellettes
GPS
Radio
Bandana
Dynamite

No comments: