Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Kitchen Dancing

Although I was advised not to, I did it anyway. I cooked dinner for someone. It was stuff I was already making for myself, and it turned out fine. No Bridget Jones style aspirations and resulting fiascos here. Just vodka penne, vegetarian chicken parmesan, gorilla salad, and brownies. Did you catch that? Gorilla salad? While I’m forbidden from discussing the exact details of gorilla salad, I can say it is spinach leaves with strawberries, blueberries, and pecans snuggled in. I suppose I could mention it was introduced to me at a party where someone wore a gorilla suit. And that the decorating theme for the party, inexplicably, was "bananas". So you might not get the idea, but again, I can say nothing else about it. Right then.
Natasha was concerned because I’ve tried this before. I would invite someone over for dinner, over think it and get stressed out, finally crumbling under the pressure and cancelling. I’d evolved a bit and started ordering pizza instead of begging off, no doubt leaving my guest confused about: a) why I bothered; and b) why I was frazzled and disheveled.
My culinary wizardry paid off: it turns out my dinner companion is an Ali G fan. Just like me. Which means I got to borrow Season 1, where I discovered the delights of Ice Cream Gloves and Borat in Savannah. I LOVE that Borat came to see a Sand Gnats game, and that Sacha Baron Cohen was in my town. He also went to UAT as Bruno, and the people there were the nastiest of any I think Bruno has encountered. Typical.
The cooking success can be attributed to one thing: Kitchen Dancing. While the vodka sauce was simmering and the pasta was somersaulting underwater, I was Kitchen Dancing. Kitchen Dancing is the way you dance when there is some good cooking going on and you are giddy with the anticipation of eating something yummy. Kitchen Dancing is the way you dance when no one is watching. Or it is also the way you dance when with really good friends, and you are trying to show off your best goofy skills, just to make each other laugh. Kitchen Dancing is performed by people who don’t take themselves too seriously. It is the purest dance form - simply full-on joy minus the self-consciousness of dancing in public. Oh yes. My moves are premium.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ramona,

I'm so proud of you for ignoring my advice and overcoming your dinner guest fears. You are officially all grown up!